Fanesca is a traditional soup from Ecuador which is prepared only during Easter and Lent.
This special holiday Ecuadorian stew recipe is made with many ingredients, most notably bacalao or dry salted cod, fresh vegetables and various grains.
- 1 Cup Onion, Finely Diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 3 TBSP Cilantro, Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Toasted Peanuts, Blended in 2 Cups of Milk
- 1 lb Salt Cod, Skinless & Boneless Cut into Chunks
- 2 Cups Pumpkin, Cubed & Cooked, Reserve the Water
- 2 Cups Yellow Squash, Cubed & Cooked, Reserve the Water
- 16 oz Can Lima Beans with Liquid
- 8 oz Chochos, Drained and Peeled
- 1 Cup Dry Lentils, Cooked in 2 Cups Water with Salt Reserve the Water
- 16 oz Can Red Kidney Beans with Liquid
- 16 oz Can Cannellini Beans with Liquid
- 16 oz Can Garbanzo Beans with Liquid
- 16 oz Can Hominy, Drained
- 16 oz Can Corn, Drained
- Salt, Pepper, Cumin and Achiote Powder to Taste
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Cilantro, Chopped
- Fried Plantains
- Avocado Slices
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 2 Cups Tender Cooked Rice
Cook the cod fish in water and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the fish from the water, discard the water, set fish aside.
To make refrito heat the oil in a large pot. Add the onion, garlic, cilantro, achiote powder, salt, pepper and cumin. Sauté on medium high heat for about 5 minutes.
Add the toasted peanut milk puree to the refrito and sauté for 5 minutes.
Add the tender, cooked rice to the refrito mixture. Stir and mash the rice to thicken the soup. Sauté for 5 minutes.
Add the cooked pumpkin, yellow squash, plus 1 cup of each of the liquids. Mash the pumpkin and squash to thicken the soup.
Add all the beans with the liquid, plus the corn and hominy.
Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring so the soup doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot.
If the soup is drying out add more milk, about 1-2 cups, depending on how thick you like the soup.
Heat some oil in a skillet and sauté the cod fish pieces.
To serve, place a few pieces of the cod in a bowl and ladle fanesca soup over it.
Garnish with slices of hard boiled eggs, avocado and cilantro. Serve with fried sweet plantains.